03 January 2018

Cosmic Void Ritual "The Excreted Remains of the Sabatier System"

Band: Cosmic Void Ritual
Title: "The Excreted Remains of the Sabatier System"
Label: Blood Harvest
Format: Tape
Release date: Oct. 6, 2017
Country: United States

First things first: it is a new year, and while I normally am not the type to do New Year's resoultions, I have set a new goal for myself for the year: try to stay more ahead in my reviews! That being said,
January tends to be a slower month for releases, and I tend to spend a lot of my listening time checking out releases I have missed in the previous year. Enter Cosmic Void Ritual. Having released their first two demos earlier in 2017, Blood Harvest has put June's "Gateways Through Septic Flesh" and July's "Transcendence Through Galactic Death" together as a single release under the title #The
Excreted Remains of the Sabatier System".
While I had not heard the demos before listening to the compilation, I had a pretty good idea what I
was in for from a death metal band on Blood Harvest. Angular riffing, seeped in reverb, and an open
devotion to either the 90's Finnish death metal scene or Incantation. As it turns out Cosmic Void Ritual lean more toward the former, the Demilich riffing is all over this one. As the name might suggest, Cosmic Void Ritual focus on sci-fi themes, which pairs well with project mastermind Unknown Entity's style. The guitar worships on the edge of chaos, constantly on the verge of falling completely off course and into, well, the void, or the backdrop created by the desolate atmosphere of the production. The rhythm section manages to provide a solid base and it is this dichotomy that makes the music work. While there are slight production differences between the two demos, they both have their own slight characteristic differences that serve their respective songs well.
Overall, while the style was predictable, the journey itself was most enjoyable, and I've found myself
coming back to the compilation multiple times. In a style that has begun to get a bit crowded as of late, Cosmic Void Ritual manage to show their is terrain yet to be fully explored. 7.5/10 By d00mfr00g

Band
Bandcamp

Label
Blood Harvest Records (Tape Version)

Site
Facebook
Bandcamp
Twitter